The Assessing Department answers all the day to day questions about assessing. The Board of Assessors meets the Thursday following the 3rd Tuesday. Please call for an appointment.
The Assessing Department is responsible for ensuring all property within the Town of Wakefield is fairly and equitably assessed according to NH State Statutes. The duties of this office are diverse and include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Update assessment data due to new construction, building permits, demolition permits, subdivisions, lot mergers and boundary line adjustments;
- Preparation of warrants – (property tax, yield, gravel, land use change tax, jeopardy & supplemental);
- Oversee & Administer all Tax Exemptions, Tax Credits & Tax Deferrals;
- Update ownership records and maintain property record cards;
- Process abatement applications and administer abatements/refunds;
- Manage the Current Use, Timber Tax & Gravel Tax Programs;
- Monitor sales and analyze the local real estate market;
- Assist with State forms – (Current Use applications, Timber Intent to Cut forms, Excavation Intents, Low & Moderate Income Property Tax Relief);
- Maintain records for tax exempt properties; and,
- Assist taxpayers/general public in a courteous, professional manner.